Bonsai and Dreadlocks -- rooted in nature


What do bonsai and dreadlocks have in common?

Well, there's me for one, though that's obviously not the most important connection. But the idea for this post came to mind because, for my 51st birthday, I decided to finally get my hair in locs (and to start this blog about it), and I was gifted a beginners bonsai kit, lots of seeds, and a young tree.

What I know about both of these 'natural' and 'growing' endeavours is that they both thrive from healthy roots, require a vast amount of patience measured in periods of years, and they both give back as much if not more than they take from you in terms of time and energy, for they generate and support an ease of your spirit that lasts a lifetime.

Both the art of bonsai cultivation and the joy of growing your hair with a sense of freedom are enriching experiences rooted in nature.

They both are patient arts, private passions, hands-on crafts, and edifying soul endeavours.

And based on all the images I was able to collect just from googling "bonsai + dreadlocks", I can see that I am not the only one who has noticed the connection.









Comments