First Shampoo - Day 6



From everything I was told or read, the first shampoo after getting locs can be a bit of a drama. You wonder if your locs will unravel, if you are washing too soon (not giving the hair enough time to form firmer knots and locks), or washing too late (allowing lint and environmental residue to take up permanent residence).

My own was entirely un-dramatic in the end. As you can tell from the photos, there is very little difference. The shampooing didn't change anything really -- the hair is slightly more fuzzy and the locs less 'tight', but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I rather enjoy the nice puff and 'freedom' of less-manicured looking locs.

But, again, in the end, just not much difference.

As for products, I'm starting with a shampoo and conditioning oil made for dreadlocks, but they are super expensive (this brand is imported from the USA, so even more pricey on my side of The Pond). In the future, I'll try a brand made in the UK, and see if I get on with that one better or just as well.  If not, I'll experiment with other products until I find whatever does work best for me as far as haircare, availability, and product price.

The key is only to use products that do not leave residue and cause build-up inside the locs.

We'll see what I find.

Comments